Jura - Tasting The Range

Hello Again Folks!

As promised, I am back with one of my two special blogs, diving deeper into a few of the drams I tried at the TWE Whisky Show. This week it's Jura!

So, let's start with some context. Jura completely overhauled its range in April of this year on what the company described as "The biggest launch in its history!" The new range brings with it a completely new flavour profile for the brand. Out goes the much loved Origin, Superstition, Diurach’s Own 16 Year Old and Prophecy and in comes Journey, 10 Year Old, 12 Year Old, Seven Wood and 18 Year Old. This is a clear move by Jura away from no age statement whiskies and back towards the years on the bottle being the benchmark for quality. But has it worked? The Whisky Show seemed like the perfect opportunity to find out! We worked our way up the range, starting with Journey and finishing with the 18 Year Old. Here are my tasting notes...


Journey (40% ABV / RRP: £33.00)
NAS, matured in American oak ex-bourbon barrels.

Nose: Very woody and warm with creamy undertones. Slight peatiness

Palate: Very nutty (I get lots of hazelnuts), again a hint of peat smokiness and a sweetness like lemon tablet

Finish: Very short indeed, almost nonexistent.

VERDICT: Very pleasant although unremarkable. I'd call this a good, simple breakfast whisky


Jura 10 (40% ABV / RRP: £38.00)
Matured in American oak ex-bourbon barrels for 10 years with an Oloroso Sherry cask finish.

Nose: Much more floral this one although I also get lots of raw cookie dough tones in there too

Palate: Very mild indeed, almost a little watery.  There is a bit more peat than journey coming through here though and perhaps some notes a little akin to cherry Bakewell

Finish: Again very short and hollow, maybe a hint of coffee lingering but it's faint.

VERDICT: Bit of a disappointment for me this one. I had expected a lot more


Jura 12 (40% ABV / RRP: £45.00)
Matured in American oak ex-bourbon barrels for 12 years with an Oloroso Sherry cask finish.

Nose: Lots to go at here. I get sour dough, vanilla and freshly cut grass

Palate: Very dry and woody indeed. I get liquorice, dried nuts (those hazelnuts again), demerara sugar and orange peel

Finish: Still very short, although I did detect a little dark chocolate here.

VERDICT: Getting better, but what's with that lack of lingering finish? I wonder whether these drams needed longer periods of time in sherry to get that depth of flavour?


Seven Wood (42% ABV / RRP: £59.00)
Jura have been cagey around what seven finishes make up this expression, all I know is that there is definitely first fill American oak ex-bourbon barrels and there is definitely some European oak in there too. Like Journey, this is also NAS.

Nose: Ooh, blimey this is very sharp! I get burnt marshmallows, lots of oatiness, gingerbread and again that sour dough

Palate: There's loads going on here it's almost impossible to unpick, although I'm not sure in a good way! I get fresh cookies, crunchy nut corn flakes, cherries, pears and very sweet apples (possibly even pineapples). A real mish mash!

Finish: Medium and lingering, smoked pear skins, grape stalks, and yet more nuttiness.

VERDICT: Lots to get your teeth into. I wasn't mad about it but would like to give it another go on a different day. Just seemed a bit busy on the palate and didn't all quite sit together as I had hoped.


Jura 18 (44% ABV / RRP: £75.00)
Matured for eighteen years in American oak ex-bourbon barrels with a finish in Bordeaux red wine casks.

Nose: That's more like it! This packs a punch on the nose with some real deep, dark aromas! I get dark chocolate, strong coffee with cream, even bitter undertones that remind me of vinegar on newspaper when you buy fish and chips! I'm intrigued!

Palate: A little more peatiness than some of their other expressions, certainly richer in the peaty tones. Again I get that burnt marshmallow, then sweetness akin to caramel sweeties and rhubarb crumble and custard. And there is still plenty of woodiness in there. A little like (and bear with me on this...) warm photocopying!
Finish: Very long indeed (finally) with plenty of custard and burnt toffee

VERDICT: I rather liked this. Lot's of depth of flavour, although I'm not sure I'd pay that price tag





Overall, it was great to get to try the full range side by side. But, has the move towards age paid off? I'm not so sure. The 12YO could be worth another look at that price and the 18YO has got plenty to it but I feel like they have missed the trick here with other wood finishes or longer in sherry and could perhaps the inclusion of a cask strength offer to give the range more depth? And I'm really not at all sure what to make of the gimmicky seven wood!

If I'm honest. I rather miss the old range!

Until next time, sláinte!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crabbies Yardhead: Cheap and Cheerful or One for the Bin?

Ncn'ean - New Organic Kids on the Block