Whisky Review: Benromach Chateau Cissac Finish

OK, so I have been looking for quite some time for a whisky under £40 that truly blew me away. For a long while I was left wanting...until now! This whisky is simply sublime!

Benromach first launched their wood finish range back in 2014 with initial bottlings finished in Hermitage and Chateau Cissac wine casks. I missed out on this first batch, but fear not, they are back and I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a bottle of the latest Chateau Cissac bottling at The Whisky Show earlier this year.

Now, as readers to my blog will no doubt be aware, I am a sucker for red wine and port finishes. Especially on young whiskies as I really feel like the combination of immature whisky and big red wine / port flavours creates the perfect mix. I was on to a winner here before I even began!

Chateau Cissac is a winery in the Haut-Médoc area of the Bordeaux wine region of France and produces some particularly fine wines. You can find out more about it here: http://www.chateau-cissac.com/uk/index.php

Now, on to the whisky...

This is a lightly peated spirit, bottled at 45% ABV. Spending the majority of it's time in first fill bourbon casks, it then went on to spend a good chunky 25 months in the red wine casks, this gives it wonderful deep colouring and complex rich flavours. It's very limited at only 4,200 bottles and as it comes in under £40 you'd best act quickly if you want a bottle! Which, trust me, you really do!!!

Tasting notes

Nose:

There is so much going on here. Each time I go back for more I get new notes coming through. There are definitely ripe fruits in there. I'm getting pears, toffee apples and some citrus notes (grapefruit or orange peel, not lemons or limes). There is a good attacking spiciness there too and just a hint of smokiness which was less than I was expecting given that it is a peated spirit.

Palate:

Wow! What a big, rich and full mouth-feel. It coats your whole palate and is like treacle! Simply wonderful! You get plenty of tart berries (think really zingy blackberries) and loads of slightly bitter tannin notes from the wine cask. There is a definite charred feel here and I'm getting hints of bonfires and pepper with perhaps a touch of liquorice. There is definitely grapefruit there too. It's delightfully big, full and heavy! The peatiness comes through right at the end which gives it a wonderful warming and well balanced feel. Delicious!

Finish:

I love a whisky that stays with you and this certainly does that! It's a super long and lingering finish. At first there is that grapefruit and liquorice again which gives way to sweeter more honeyed notes before finishing with a pleasant peatiness right at the end which you are still breathing some time later!

In summary, this is a stunning whisky with bags of character. It tastes stronger than a 45% ABV and a damn sight older than it actually is. It's big, rich and complex with so many aromas and flavours. This whisky was definitely my budget highlight of The Whisky Show. For goodness sake, get one of these bottles on your Christmas list!!!

Until next time, sláinte!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crabbies Yardhead: Cheap and Cheerful or One for the Bin?

Whisky Review: Spey Tenné

Jura - Tasting The Range