Ardbeg An Oa - Ardbeg without the Edges?

OK...first can I start by saying I am a massive Ardbeg fan. If it wasn't for Ardbeg 10 I doubt very much I would be a peated whisky obsessive. And Uigeadail has to be in my top 5 whiskies of all time. I feel like I should get that out of the way before I launch into this.

You, can't win them all...

Ardbeg An Oa was released last month to much fanfare (as everything Ardbeg always is). It is a very important dram as it is the first new addition to Ardbeg's core range for over a decade (they have been having a fine old time with excellent, if expensive special releases over the last few years). It is clearly a statement of intent from the guys here to add something different to their range. For me though, in doing that I feel it lacks a bit of what makes Ardbeg great.

OK, before I launch into my opinions on this one, let's start with some facts...

The name An Oa comes from the Mull of Oa – the most southerly point of Islay. It's bottled at 46.6% ABV with an RRP of around £50 so not too expensive. It's a NAS vatted malt using a range of casks including ex-bourbon, PX Sherry and charred Virgin oak all blended together with the intention of creating a lighter, well balanced spirit.

So, here are my tasting notes...

Nose: Definite hints of citrus (lemon peel) but a distinct saltiness. When you go back for more some of the sweeter elements come though. There's definitely some apple and plenty of vanilla in there! It surprised me how muted the peatiness was on the nose.

Palate - Very, very soft and smooth (for an Ardbeg that is...) lacking that direct attack of your usual Ardbeg offering. It's very balanced and well rounded (too well rounded?). There are clear  hints of spiciness, particularly cinnamon for sure and quite a bit of chocolate (probably milk or even white chocolate) and there are definite notes of  vanilla. The peat comes through but certainly doesn't slap you 'round the chops. This is definitely not like your average Ardbeg in that respect!

Finish - For me this was really disappointingly short. There is a bit of salt and some good honeyed sweetness but it's gone before you know it. There is no lingering peat that feels like you are breathing fire like you get with a Uigeadail or to a lesser extent Ardbeg 10.

The Verdict

Overall this really is a very pleasant dram, but if I'm picking Ardbeg I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for. For me, Ardbeg should be challenging. If you want an easy drinking Islay malt go grab yourselves a Port Charlotte or a Bowmore. Ardbeg should frighten you and this whisky definitely doesn't do that!

All that said, this would be a great introduction to Ardbeg if you haven't yet dipped your toe into this wonderful distillery. Also, this would make a great "session whisky" as it's so easy drinking I reckon I could drink it all night!

Overall, a good, well balanced and easy-drinking whisky just not an Ardbeg!

Until next time, sláinte!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crabbies Yardhead: Cheap and Cheerful or One for the Bin?

Jura - Tasting The Range

The TWE Whisky Show 2018